Most healthcare practices struggle on getting their bottom line met in current economic times with everyday changing healthcare trends. Very few of them are using some basic techniques to improve patient satisfaction and outcomes. I have complied a list of 25 golden principles that a medical practice can adopt to improve their overall turnover and patient experience.
1. Remind patients of their upcoming appointment at least 24-48 hours prior.
2. Patients should be reminded of any paperwork to bring at the time of appointment.
3. Check-in process should be easy and quick.
4. Manage the schedule in a way that patients do not have to wait longer than 10-15 minutes.
5. Rooms should be well lighted.
6. Patients should be told about their vital signs in comparison to the old ones by the Medical Assistant when putting information in.
7. Staff should greet them with a smile.
8. Be a good listener.Let them finish their talking before you start talking.
9. Address the key issues and give specific written recommendations. Provide patient handouts when necessary.
10. It is good to address one more issue as a bonus. Patients feel good about it.
11. Follow up recommendations should be clear and concise.
12. Easy Checkout is must. If it is going to take some time, have patients sit in waiting area and address their needs as soon as possible.
13. Inform the patients of any abnormal labs and actions to be taken as soon as results are obtained.
14. Engage family members in case is Older patients and patients with special needs.
15. Try to know their social engagements. This makes them friendly.
16. Reassure, Manage and Recommend sensitively.
17. Review charts before patients visit so that you may mention what you talked about last time.
18. Offer Same day appointments.
19. Offer access to their own records including lab work and radiology reports.
20. Send them a Satisfaction survey to see what their experiences are and how you can improve.
21. Make them part of the decision-making. Always give them options when possible and guide them to choose one for themselves.
22. Send Periodic Health maintenance reminders. This include follow-up screening tests.
24. Have a well-designed and well informative website for the practice.
25. Most Importantly, be clear about your policies and procedures, what services you offer and what you don’t, before even patient shows up, to avoid any surprises on patient’s end. Patients have unreasonable expectations sometimes, which can be avoided by giving them clear understanding of what you can provide and what you cannot.
All the above mentioned tips are very easy to follow and the results are amazingly good. See your practice Sky-rocket in few weeks after applying these principles.