- Defensive Medicine: Providers always overdoing to avoid malpractice law suits.
- High Malpractice costs
- Tough regulations
- Reducing reimbursements
- Increasing patient populations
- Primary Care physicians taking all the burden and not getting paid well on top
- Reducing enrollments in Medical Schools
- Insurance-company restrictions resulting in less autonomy over how patients are cared for
Doctors are being over-controlled and micro-managed by the current regulatory systems. By training, doctors are innovators and independent thinkers. Taking away their thought process is making them into robots who just keep clicking computers to get their ends meet without any interest.
If government had to do something,
- Why does it not open more medical schools?
- Why does it not make it easy for foreign trained doctors to come to US and practice medicine?
- Why do they not cut the overwhelming malpractice costs?
- Why do they not incentivze primary care services?
- Why cannot they increase taxes on cigarettes, sodas and chips which are killing the Americans?
- Why cannot they let physicians be independent and let them practice medicine rather than practicing computers?
- Why can they not prosecute drug dealers who are contaminating the system?
- Why do people get support from tax payers money when they can actually work but they choose not to?
It is a pain to practice such medicine in United States which boasts of being a Number 1 economy in the world. America has very poor ranking on overall health indexes as compared to other developed nations in the world. The only good part I see in Healthcare reform is the mandatory Health insurance which makes it fair for everyone. The concept of ACO and PCMH are great, but the overall goals are still very hard to achieve even with these models if the defensive medicine and malpractice costs are not taken care of. So, my appeal from all the healthcare providers and the government is to change the Healthcare System for better rather than for worse. Make it easy for providers to practice medicine. Do not let those 1/3rd current physicians leave medicine, which they are thinking because of strict government regulations.